Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Surprise Harvest

One night in late May or June Bruce and the older kids planted a garden. They planted corn, beets, lots of different kinds of squash, peas, cucumbers, tomatoes and I don't even know what else. I do remember they all came home (to our rental) very muddy. We then, of course, did nothing but work on the house all summer. We didn't pull a single weed and scarcely remembered to turn the water on our weed patch, I mean garden. It was pretty much one evening of planting, then zero effort. But, WOW have I been impressed with what has come out of our little weed patch! The grasshoppers got our corn and I don't know what happened to the peas (I think you're supposed to plant them earlier(?) but we have been feeding our neighborhood with squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes are especially sweet and flavorful. Imagine what we could have next year with a little more effort and TLC of our garden. Come visit us and we'll load you up!


1 comment:

RoyZGirlz said...

That is my kind of garden!!